Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Shouldn't I be buying books?

The summer is always a weird time. You get this whole routine going throughout the school year, and summer brings such a different dynamic with friends, work, even family. I suppose it's because everyone disperses to various locations all around the country (and sometimes, the globe). The distance between friends changes their usual relationship, even if it's only for the 4 months of summer.

When September rolls around and we reunite, for most cases, it's as if we didn't skip a beat. But what is going to happen when the 4 months of summer is not just 4 months anymore?? There will be no more returning to Western in September for me after this year (and this time, I didn't even return as a student!! ...). So what happens to all those friendships that survive because they have a crutch of reunion come September... will they just slowly diminish as the distance becomes more of a burden and we all go on separate paths?

------------------------------------------------------

I feel odd. I watch everyone start their first week of classes, getting their bus passes and new agendas (with a screwed up September calendar), wait in endless lines, and buy their expensive books. That was me for the past 4 years, and now all of a sudden, I am on the other side of it all. The ADMIN side. The "dark" side. haha

So I am officially a working woman, doing the monday-friday 9-5 job with an occassional 12 hour day because of my part-time retail job that I simply can't give up (hello! 50% off shoes/handbags/accessories!...what girl could give that up?)

The "waking up early in the morning" thing is slowly becoming easier and I have been good at packing my lunch the night before so I get those few extra minutes of sleep - they're vital. Also, I do quite relish the fact that once I come home at 5, I don't have to stress about studying for an exam or writing a 20 page paper. My roommates on the other hand will be loving life while trying to do a thesis and other fun stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, Manchu Wok is the devil. I know this everytime I get it, and yet I am always drawn in by their delicious smell of less than mediocre fast-food Chinese. There is not one time I have got it that I didn't immediately regret my decision. I had their one item bowl today for lunch at the UCC and this is how I feel.
A) They are way overpriced but that's old news.
B) I got the fried rice, and it was the blandest, driest, grossest thing I have ever put in my mouth (insert dirty minded joke here)
C) I got lemon chicken and after consuming most of it, I looked at a piece after taking a bite and realized it was PINK. Barf me. The idea of getting sick from undercooked chicken with still 9 hours of work ahead of me makes me want to cry. I can feel my stomach churning.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you mentioned the "screwed up September calendar" in the Westernizer. Well, I feel bad, too, because that's absolutely my fault! That agenda is one of my summer projects. But, I promise the rest of the months are accurate.

6:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home