Monday, October 17, 2005

Different Names for the Same Things

So, another birthday has come and gone. I am officially TWENTY.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The MIT Girls

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Third Wheel.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Oh no, it's starting...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
There it is...we dun' it again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, I got up with a pretty rough hangover and slowly made progress to get ready for my weekend in Toronto. We headed down with the nausea kicking in at full force, and arrived a decent hour and picked Sofia up. We waited for a street car for like a million years in pretty cold, windy weather and headed downtown for dinner. We had dinner at a place called "Spring Rolls". It was actually the most delicious food ever and they had a mini shark in a tank!! It was incredible. Not to mention, our server was like the butler from Mr.Deeds. He would disappear and then the next thing you knew, he was standing right next to you.

Then off to the Kool Haus for the Death Cab concert.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The opening act was The Youth Group, whom I had never heard of before that night. A quaint little Australian group they were. Worth further investigation.

Then, Death Cab came out with Marching Bands of Manhattan. They gave a pretty kickass and very consistent performance the whole show. Ben and the bassist, Nick Harmer, were rocking out the entire show which ended up with a very sweaty couple. We're talking - looks like they just went swimming - sweat through the shirt. Then on the opposing end, the drummer (Jason McGerr) and my new love, Chris Walla (see pic) were chillin' through the whole show. The drummer almost looked bored.
Ben's sweet voice was so perfect. It was actually astonishing how effortlessly they performed but still blew everyone away.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The crowd was quite diverse as well. You know, you got the typical emo kids. Then you had the "typcial Western girl", you could even toss in some ginos in there too...(yeah, it was an odd mix).
What pissed me off about the show was the lack of concert etiquette some people showed. For example, do not push your way through a crowd pretending your "friends"are up there...then proceed to STOP right in front of me. Seriously, keep moving. And just because Seth Cohen likes them isn't a reason to express your undying love for Death Cab and shed some tears as if their music has touched your very soul.
.end.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the show, we went to go catch a street car by Queen St. As we were walking, a homeless guy stopped us and asked us for some change. When we told him that we didn't have any change and that we were actually going to get some change ourselves, he told us to go to the Scotia Bank across the street and pull out some money for him. "That isn't our bank" We said as we kept walking. Then lucky for us, he stopped to hassle some other people on the street and we got away from him. A few blocks later, we get to a Tim Horton's and since I needed change for a 10 to take the street car, I decided to get a bottle of water. Inside Timmy's there was another homeless man, an older one. He then asked me to help him and give him some change. I told him I didn't have any and he said he would wait and sat down. I went to buy a bottle of water then I got change for the 10. Then I realized he was standing right behind me saying, "there now you have change, can you give it to me". But then all of a sudden, the homeless guy from a few blocks back was standing behind me as well saying that he had seen me first. I felt like I was prey for hungry vultures. As both of them argue over who is going to feed on me, I looked at the Timmy's cashier for help. Then a pretty ghetto, looking guy in a velour suit walks into Timmy's and threatens them to leave me alone. THANK GOD. They finally leave and go outside. But, I was way too scared to go outside at this point. So the nice ghetto dude offered to walk out with us, if we just wait a minute while he got a donut. Thankfully, they were not outside waiting to pounce on me.

Moral of the story: Don't wander around downtown Toronto at 1 in the morning.

5 Comments:

Blogger alex said...

i'm jealous, i love death cab.

you know who else i love? youth group.
get your hands on "skeleton jar", "lillian lies", or the 80s alphaville cover "forever young" [also found on the oc compilation 5, how cliche].

that passed out birthday pic is soo classic. sylvia, i love you.

xoxo

10:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hun well love the new blog when i have time i will switch over the link im consitering switching my blog over to here to what youthink .. no yes? anyways sorry havent been around in a long time.. imm catching up!

happy belated birthday.. hope it was wonderful
xoxoxoxo

2:30 a.m.  
Blogger Nick said...

Wow, that's an attractive wheel you have pictured up there.


happy birthday!!!! (I'm not late, that's for next year)

5:42 p.m.  
Blogger Claudia said...

your birthday was good times! and that's crazy, stalked by homeless people... silly toronto.

5:46 p.m.  
Blogger D. said...

Happy birthday! Soo brave for posting the drunken pics!

11:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home